EMS on Campus
Founded in 1953 as a volunteer group of student fire marshals, UMass EMS grew into a First Aid Service and registered student organization (RSO) in 1976. In 2012, UMass EMS was granted Agency status due to the recognized need for emergency medical service on our campus. In 2018, UMass EMS became a fully-equipped BLS service before being recognized as an EMS Ready Campus at the 2019 National Collegiate EMS Foundation annual conference.
Today, UMass EMS is a fully student run and student operated EMS service on the UMass Amherst campus employed under the department of Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S). UMass EMS provides non-transporting EMT-BLS medical event standby services to the campus community. Football games, concerts, Commencement events, and faculty functions are just a few of the hundreds of events we staff each year. UMass EMS is in service and able to staff events 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Every member of UMass EMS is enrolled as a student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. All of our EMTs are certified national NREMT-B and Massachusetts EMT-B.
Members of UMass EMS enjoy
- The ability to work EMS details, and receive compensation
- Volunteer opportunities
- Networking with our area partners
- Invitations to many special events each semester
- The opportunity to teach CPR classes
- The opportunity to TA for our EMT Training Program
- The opportunity to join our leadership team
- Training, specialty lectures, continuing education credit, and re certification assistance at NO COST
All members MUST
- Stay up-to-date with all required certifications, competencies, and modules. It IS NOT our responsibility to maintain YOUR certification.
- Attend scheduled meetings. Schedule is released months in advance to give plenty of time to plan ahead. Absence is excused for academic commitments/ personal emergencies.
- Submit all required documentation by the required submission date, generally 30 days from signing of your contract.
- Work a minimum of 8 hours during your FIRST semester with UMEMS.
*There is NO MINIMUM WORK REQUIREMENT. However, you must still adhere to the above membership expectations.